December 15, 2011

Elf on the Shelf

Our family, and millions of others have jumped on the Elf on the Shelf tradition this year. I cant believe how hot it is. Those authors were brilliant. My daughter loves trying to find our elf every morning.

I started to do research on this, wanting to know the origin of this idea. Yesterday, while shopping at my favorite antique store, I came across this lil guy:
It kinda made me want to look for more original ones, considering this one was only $3.

like these:

Did you know these were actually created in Japan? Indeed they were, in the 1960s  by a company called "Yuletide of Japan" and were called kneehugger elves. So if you want to invest in these little guys and have an original, checkout etsy and ebay and search knee hugger elf ( or kneehugger ) they are usually cheap, unless they have "made in japan" somewhere on them ( worth more )
Here are a few of our elf, Blitz, in photos:

 milo the monkey has jealousy issues.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, the Milo the monkey photo is really hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny. Love the TP'd tree. I was a Sixties mom and sure wish I'd saved the elves, Tinker Toys and Legos. They were dirt cheap then. Now I'm paying a small fortune buying them for the grandkids.

    ReplyDelete

Ikea Ribba Frame Hack // Custom Mats

This one was one of those projects where I'm asking myself, why didnt I do this sooner?? Was I intimidated? Did I assume it'd be co...