March 27, 2018

Ikea Ribba Frame Hack // Custom Mats

This one was one of those projects where I'm asking myself, why didnt I do this sooner?? Was I intimidated? Did I assume it'd be costly? I dont know, and I dont care at this point. I did it, and you can too.

Before we get there, we need to back up to this extraordinarily disgusting builder grade wall. Lets start with the Red paint color. You guys, I cant. I wanted to immediately murder that wall. And what dumb and pointless nooks are these? Within literally hours of getting the keys to our house, I had a painter on the job, and a plan to close it all up and forget it ever existed. ( these were seller photos btw) 



It's actually quite a large corner wall, and it's weight bearing, so, SOL there. Once we closed it up and painted it, it's been one of those walls I need to live with and think about for a while. I didnt need shelving. Putting a piece of furniture there, just wasnt my favorite, although I moved the tv cabinet there a couple of times. I'm an evolving thinker. My ideas get better and better as I cancel out mediocre ones in my head. Enter, a photo wall.

I've bought Ribba frames for years. They should come with a warning, you MUST hang these correctly. Actually pay attention to the instructions, or, over time, they WILL fall off the wall because the mdf splits in half. I'm embarrassed to share that I've broken 4 large ones of these in the past.
This time, I decided I didnt want a stock mat. It was time to put my big girl pants on and customize. You guys, it was painless. Check this out.


I got six of these exact Ribba Frames from Ikea. After researching a few different customizable mat websites, I landed on www.matboardsandmore.com, due to it's very very easy user interface and sample you can see online. I've known I've wanted to have an offset mat for my frames, and I knew I wanted my photos to be 11x14, and as it shows below, my outer frame was 19 3/4 x 27 1/2.


So these are the exact measurements I entered to get the custom cut out I wanted for Ribba. I ended up shortening the bottom to 11x13 ( instead of 14 ) because I wanted an inch more space on the bottom. My favorite feature on this site, is the "offset" option, which is where my "top center" choice came in.
So each Mat came to $13.78 and I needed 6.




The shipping was fast, and I was seriously shocked at the quality. I even chose their cheapest Mat Board type. They're substantial, and beautifully beveled. They give a basic Ikea frame that lift they desperately needed. They packaged it very very well, and they came fast. Customer for life.

Look how pretty!



It was a lot easier than I anticipated. Honestly the most annoying part was choosing which photos to use!

2 comments:

  1. This post is a little old, but just curious how did you hang them so perfectly?? I'm having a terrible time getting them just right in my drywall! Love these as gallery walls, and the mats are so pretty to make them look more high end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you have glass cut for the frames?

    ReplyDelete

Ikea Ribba Frame Hack // Custom Mats

This one was one of those projects where I'm asking myself, why didnt I do this sooner?? Was I intimidated? Did I assume it'd be co...