September 24, 2011

Semi-Homemade Rosemary Olive Oil

Last year, my dear friend Kelly gifted me rosemary olive oil. I thought this was such a great idea, and it was DELICIOUS. Especially months and months after you make it, the leaves start falling off the stems and it's so yum.

I have a massive rosemary bush in my backyard, and I found these awesome $3.99 Bottles from World Market.

Lightly rinse off your rosemary, dab it with a paper towel, and let it air dry, completely. NO wet rosemary.
It's much easier and less messy if you put the stems in before you pour the oil in. I usually clip off the top, as it's more limp, and you want the woodier stalk on the bottom. Make sense?
 And Voila! Of course you can use it right away, but just like wine, it's better with age. It's a healthy, fairly inexpensive gift. There's only 3 months until Christmas....

8 comments:

  1. Just wondering where you purchased the olive oil from? I find it hard to locate olive oil in large amounts without it being of a lesser quality flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Costco or any bulk foods store is the best bang for your buck. Just make sure it's 100% olive oil and not a mix of canola. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. or while you're at world market buying the bottles, get some of their olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks so good and high end! i just googled the words "decorator" and "do it yourself projects" and your blog came up! Please take a look at my blog as well and follow if you like what you see! Keep the good posts up!

    ~Miss Nine Makeup @

    missninemakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful to look at, but please consider food safety. From this website which has directions for safe oil infusing: http://www.oliveoilsource.com/page/infusing-olive-oil...
    "Flavored olive oils and dressings make great gifts but watch out; there are safe and unsafe ways to make infused olive oil. The unsafe way is to put anything in the oil that contains any trace of water or moisture. That would include garlic, lemon peel, fresh peppers, fresh herbs and spices. The oil will not support bacterial growth but the water containing herbs will. Botulism bacteria can grow in this type of environment, even in a sealed bottle. There are several things you can do to avoid this problem. "

    ReplyDelete
  6. CW, thanks for your concern, that is why I made it very clear that there is to be no water on the rosemary before infusing the oil. I've never had a problem, neither have my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! Sounds delicious! Love infused olive oils!

    ReplyDelete

Ikea Ribba Frame Hack // Custom Mats

This one was one of those projects where I'm asking myself, why didnt I do this sooner?? Was I intimidated? Did I assume it'd be co...