February 20, 2012

YOU

YOU are good enough. Don't let things like pinterest or design/makeup/lifestyle whatever blogs make you discontent. It's easy to compare, to become envious of others, but we need to stop. We should be more uplifting and more supportive to eachother.  I found myself being bothered by people commenting on facebook photos, saying "oh I just saw this on pinterest!" and I am often discouraged that a lot of people assume every idea comes from there. I heard a friend say, oh did you see so and so's new home photos on her blog? It's perfect! And my friend felt so lousy and belittled, like she can't live up. How many of us do this? I guarantee that most of those gorgeous homes you see on pinterest are set up for magazine shoots, and that is it. They dont look like that everyday.
Do the best YOU can. If YOU are happy in your space, then that's all that matters. I compare myself constantly, I pick my house apart all the time. ( my poor house! ) But truth is, when I step away from  pinterest, when I stop checking my favorite blogs and stop paying attention so much to others, I realize I am indeed, content.
It goes back to the old question...If you had enough, could you recognize it?
I'm going to strive to be a better blogger. I was distracted for a bit, worrying too much about what ya'll think, but I promise to keep blogging like the real 27 yr old wife and mom that I am. I make mistakes all the time with decor decisions or diy fails. I will be sure to post more of those, so we can all have a good laugh. I have tried to write this out so many times to make it flow and sound professional or whatever, but this is just me talking to you.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you so very much for this reminder! And you phrased it just right,by the way, from the heart. I am a bit older than you and can honestly say that what you're talking about is one of the most important and difficult things to remember.
    I look forward to your new posts as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great reminder, thank you! i fall into this trap all.the.time. i can't help but feel this way sometimes. looking forward to seeing you post more around here again. love your blog. i have been following it since i was in the nestie days on the d&r boards :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true! I fall into this trap as well, so this is a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya! There are so many days that I really wonder why I started a blog at all. Thanks for the reminder that I don't have to live up to anything or anyone. Its the same as everything in life...worry is pointless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this Steph! I needed to read this today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said, Steph. I ahev found myself falling into the self-berating trap MANY times over the past few years of blogging. It's sort of like the high school popularity fallout all over again (BTW, I was never part of that group, but a quiet artistic kid who flew well under the radar!) I have to stop and remind myself regularly that my blog is for me, (the grass is usually NOT any greener) and if I am happy with life, that is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah! Great post - great reminder. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANK YOU! What a fabulous reminder that I know I certainly needed to hear. :) New to your blog and definitely sticking around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see someone actually saying this, Steph. When I was a young mom (over fifty years ago), my OCD housekeeping habits drove my family crazy. One day, when my husband scuffed the hardwood floor I'd spent all day waxing and buffing on my hands and knees, I got upset. He'd had enough and yelled at me, "Floors are for WALKING ON!!!" We laugh at that now but it also saddens me to realize how unhappy I was making my family by wanting our home to look ready for a BHG pictorial shoot. When we demand unrealistic expectations of ourselves we program ourselves for failure. Also, please do share your DIY failures with us. I've admired other bloggers who have the courage to do that and to laugh at themselves. It makes the rest of us feel that we're in good company.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had my feelings hurt on Valentine's Day because of Pintrest. I made all of my girlfriends a cute gift. I bought a 4 lb bag of sugar and then got scrapbook paper that had hearts all over it and cut a circle gift tag out of it and wrote, "You are sweeter than a sack'a suga!" and tied it on with a cute little bow. The first person I gave it to said, "Awe, did you see this on pintrest?" I said No, I am actually prone to have great ideas of my own every now and then. She could tell I was annoyed and so could the other people in the room. Anyway, we need to remember to always give people credit when credit is due, and NEVER assume everything comes from blogs/pintrest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Today I stumbled upon your blog and I have to say that I love it! You have fresh ideas, optimistic designs and you have a great eye for detail. I'm impressed.

    Currently, I am gathering ideas because I just purchased a real fixer-upper 120 yr old 3 story buidling to convert to a single family home and I am always looking for ideas. While I use Pinterest as my "dream board", I agree with you that so much of what's posted on there is too perfect. I am looking for ideas to capture what MY style is. And I thank you for sharing yours. great reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Ikea Ribba Frame Hack // Custom Mats

This one was one of those projects where I'm asking myself, why didnt I do this sooner?? Was I intimidated? Did I assume it'd be co...