August 22, 2012

DIY Canvas Painting for Nursery

Luli Sanchez is a famous textile designer/painter that caught my attention awhile back. Her pieces are one of a kind, and she doesnt even sell prints individually, BIG clients buy her pieces and use the prints in artwork and fashion and home linens. Which posed a challenged for me, when I desperately wanted this particular print of hers. It is the inspiration for my nursery design, all colors are based from this.



So I went to Joanns last night, and carefully picked out a few 59 cent paints and a canvas, spending about $24. The whole time I'm thinking, what am I getting myself into. I've never painted a picture...( well, you cant count the ombre/beach type print I did ages ago because my 4 year old couldve done it )

So there I sat, ipad with the inspiration on hand, paint and canvas in front of me, not having a clue where this would take me.
Once I got going though, I started to surprise myself, and I was actually enjoying it. The challenge was to get the acrylics to look like watercolor AND oil in some spots. But I underestimated myself and i'm very happy with the results. Check it out.




9 comments:

  1. Dang you got skills!! Time to open an etsy shop and start selling some art :) In other words I freakin love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph...AMAZING! You need to start painting on a reg basis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing! You've got some talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly underestimated yourself, it looks fantastic! no idea how i ended up on your site, but it's fun. :)

    ReplyDelete

Ikea Ribba Frame Hack // Custom Mats

This one was one of those projects where I'm asking myself, why didnt I do this sooner?? Was I intimidated? Did I assume it'd be co...