July 8, 2010

Pin Cushion Spikemoss and more

I have a new crush. On moss. Gosh, if only the moss that destroys my lawn in the winter looked as cute as this...
This is pin cushion spikemoss. It's in the fern family, requires a ton of water and shade, which I can provide. I LOVE it. I bought 2 for $7, one is in my front pot ( no pic )
I'm hoping it's available in the fall, because I plan on bringing it indoors for a centerpiece.


on other note...did I mention my LOVE for hydrangea? I'm obsessed. I mean, obsessed. I have about 7 different bushes. Our soil is so rich here, that by September the entire bush changes color.

3 comments:

  1. Swoon! Oh how I wish pincushion spikemoss would be hardy for my area! It's so lovely. It's not actually a true fern though because is doesn't reproduce by spores. It's considered a fern ally.

    I'm also a big fan of hydrangeas. I only have one right now though; the 'Incrediball' variety and it's doing great. It has 3x the blooms of the Annabelle variety and has much stronger stems to keep the flowers from flopping from wind and rain. Funny the spikemoss and hydrangea have a similar round/mound shape maybe that's why we like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy! That pop of green is heavenly! At first I thought it was curly leaf parsley - that's how much I know about plants (and how much I think about food).

    As soon as we move, I can't wait to start a garden. I soooo long to be the gardening type.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of that Moss. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try and see if I can get some for our deck

    ReplyDelete

Ikea Ribba Frame Hack // Custom Mats

This one was one of those projects where I'm asking myself, why didnt I do this sooner?? Was I intimidated? Did I assume it'd be co...