May 14, 2014

Hydrangea Not Budding? Here's my solution!

I'm a hydrangea hoarder. There, I said it. So when I bought a hydrangea from craigslist 2 years ago and it wasnt blooming, I was a sad panda. I fertilized it with fish fertilizer, I dug it up and moved it, Made sure it was facing East, I pruned it properly, Sang some Peter Cetera to her...NOTHING. Not a single bud.





So last week, I took some used coffee grounds and scattered it at the roots, I did quite a bit ( probably 4 cups worth )


And I kid you not, a week later, the entire plant was bursting with buds.
I nearly cried. Nearly.


I've always known that you can change the color of your hydrangeas ( most of the time ) by changing the PH of your soil ( I threw ash on mine last year and they went from purple to mauvey pink mix mid summer ) and knew that coffee grounds were good for them after they bloom, but never thought to do it before.


3 comments:

  1. You read my mind! I have a red and green one I planted out front that needs.....something. Maybe this is it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, I had no idea this would work. I have one that is just a pile of green leaves, putting out coffee grounds tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding me?!? I have never heard of this. I, too, am obsessed and will definitely be giving this a try. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Ikea Ribba Frame Hack // Custom Mats

This one was one of those projects where I'm asking myself, why didnt I do this sooner?? Was I intimidated? Did I assume it'd be co...