July 2, 2012

Trends vs Going with your gut

In the last year I've learned a lot about my style. Obviously we evolve, our tastes change and a lot of us try to keep up with the trends. And this is where I gotta be honest, I've noticed that in the moments where I try to keep up with a certain trend, I end up unhappy with the product or look.

Biggest example. This moroccan rug. These have been hot, in magazines, blogs and you can find them in so many stores. This one has been blogged to death about, I feel like.


Believe it or not, I despise this room now. It's the first room you see when you enter the house, and its just NOT me. I loved the rug at the time, but in the back of my mind, I just KNEW I'd get sick of it. It doesnt flow with the house and the size is wrong. Truth be told, I want to garage sale everything in this room except my orange lamp and family piano.

So what does my gut say?
My gut says stick with the natural, bluesy, greensy look that is ME. I have other projects on my list right now ( the backyard project that has been put on hold due to weather, and another I'll tell you about next week, as well as stupid upgrades that are necessary but arent fun to buy )

So here's my inspiration. It'll help the flow of my house, and it IS ME. I'll never get sick of this look. I just need to stick with what my gut says!



So have you caught yourself regretting a purchase because it's just not you?

11 comments:

  1. I find myself "ooing" and "ahhing" over designs on Pinterest or other blogs that I would love, but wouldn't flow with the rest of the house, and/or wouldn't function well with dogs and a 15 month old daughter. My biggest realization is not to just buy decor items because they're cheap at a store or yard sale, because whatever good intentions you had for them are quickly overshadowed by the amount of dust that sits on them until they head to goodwill. Instead focus on what you want and need, regardless of price (although I LOVE to bargain shop.) My closet and house is MUCH happier if I focus on that perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post! Pier I, I believe, has a commercial that says something to effect "listen to what speaks to you" and that is so true. While we want to stay current with fashion trends the most important things our home should be are comfortable & personal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get some overwhelmed trying to figure out how I can incorporate every single look that I have ever seen and liked. Truth is though my house will only look it's best if it is truly me. After all that is the only "style" I am going to get just right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Total agreement with you - it's so hard to resist image overload and find what truly makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Long time reader, first time commenting...I think you are so right about trusting your gut. My mom has always been so faithful to her true personal style, and her house looks timeless and "her." you've got great taste and a great eye---trust it! Also, if you really do want to sell your rug and pillows, I'm interested. They happen to fit my style to a t!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my problem is that I love so many things when I see them, that it is hard to commit to one style. I have definitely been true to myself lately, even if that means redoing stuff. And if that rug you showed is from Rugs USA, I have the same exact one in my living room and it has bugged me since the day I got it. It will soon be moved into our homeschool classroom/office where it will fit in much better.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to have found your darling blog. I love that first LR picture, and am taking down custom blinds to put up matchstick, tortoise, woven or whatever you call it. It really warms up a space, formal or not.
    Love your gut- go with it!
    Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree! Trusting your gut and trying to find your own style will make you the happiest in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup, I've bought things before because they were trendy and then wrinkled my nose at them while they were in my house...though I thought the problem was me, not the trendy item. How silly of me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the difference between what you liked at the time and what is really you is the comfort factor. What is truly your style is a classic, will never go out of style style. I love the modern looks, but I know I'll grow old of it. But that classic, cozy, comfy look I KNOW I will always love.

    ReplyDelete

Ikea Ribba Frame Hack // Custom Mats

This one was one of those projects where I'm asking myself, why didnt I do this sooner?? Was I intimidated? Did I assume it'd be co...